Friday, August 22, 2008

Moore Women First Year Supper

Moore Women is designed to include the women of Moore College - female students and student wives - as part of the College community. They arrange women's Bible study groups, training events and regular weekly meetings discussing a range of topics.

I've been along to a few of the events but not on any sort of regular basis. However, last night I went to the first year supper - put on by some of the faculty wives - for female first year students and their wives.

It was a great opportunity to spend time, especially with some of the wives of guys in my year. It was also terrific to spend time as a group hearing about how others are finding the college experience now that we are more than halfway through the year.
It is fascinating to hear the range of experiences - for some, the whole thing has wildly exceeded their expectations; for others, there have been various struggles and difficulties and, even in a Christian community, a sense of isolation and frustration.
The evening reminded me to be aware of others' experience of being at college, that it is not possible to assume that all are experiencing the same event in the same way. It has helped me to remember to be thankful for my own experiences (both the good and the difficult) and to be more aware of how I can help and support others.
I pray for these sisters in Christ: for strength and encouragement for those who are struggling; for those who are travelling well, the ability to rejoice and to offer strength to others. I also praise God that we are all so different and can contribute to God's work in this world in so many various ways.

No comments: